Wood Designs GlossaryCommon Terminology

  1. S4S – “surfaced on 4 sides” meaning that the material is finished on all four sides. Dimensional lumber is commonly S4S. S4Sfinished lumber and dimensional lumber are labeled according to nominal size, or the size of the rough board before it was planned smooth.
  2. Baseboard – (also known as skirting board, mopboard, floor molding, and base molding) is a (generally wooden) board made to cover the opening between the floor and the lowest part of an interior wall
  3. Kickboard – A non-profiled thinner alternative to Baseboard commonly used on stairs and kitchen applications.
  4. Window Valance – is a form of decorative window moulding that covers the uppermost part of the window and can be hung alone or paired with window blinds, or curtains.
  5. Chair Rail – a type of moulding fixed horizontally to the wall around the perimeter of a room. Typically used as part of wainscoting.
  6. Rosettes – Carved decorative pieces used to decorate window and door casework, cabinetry, range hoods and furniture.
  7. Glazing Bead – A small moulding typically used where a glass panel/window meets the frame.
  8. Crown Moulding – A form of moulding typically used on the seam of where the wall meets the ceiling.
  9. Trim Mouldings – Small mouldings usually used to add detail or cover up gaps.
  10. Dentil Mouldings – A moulding with a repeating square ornament on it.
  11. Rope Moulding – A moulding in the shape of a rope
  12. Fluted Moulding/Casing – A moulding/casing with ribs or “flutes” that run the length or width of the moulding.
  13. Panel Moulding – A moulding typically used to create beautiful transitions from one item to another.
  14. Casing – A way of finishing off a doorway or opening, casings cover gaps between door jambs and their adjacent walls.
  15. Cabinet Under Valence – Used to add detail below the cabinets in a kitchen. Most of these mouldings are designed with a nailing strip at the top to attach them to the underside of a cabinet.
  16. Flooring Components – Typically used as a way of creating transitions between different flooring materials & rooms.
  17. Top Mounted Crown Mouldings – Crown Mouldings with a nailing strip that allows them to be attached to the top of a cabinet.
  18. Brackets & Corbels – Right angle pieces typically used for support under kitchen islands, mantles & shelves.
  19. Plinth Block – Similar in purpose to “Rosettes”, Plinth Blocks are used to create a bold transition between a door casing and baseboard; Used when a baseboard is thicker than the casing it is joining with.
  20. Pilaster Cap – Used for a base or cap to various fluted casings and rope mouldings.
  21. Wainscot Panelling – Paneling used to add detail to a wall, under a kitchen island.
  22. Turned Post – A post with a round design in the middle and square at the top and bottom.
  23. Railing – Also known as a handrail or banister.
  24. Newel Post Styles:
    • Craftsman Post – Post with raised panels
    • Shaker Post – Post with flat recessed panels
    • Routered Post – Post with routered panels.
    • Heritage Post – Post with recessed panels trimmed with Victorian mouldings and overlays
    • Plain Post – Post with no panels.
    • Fluted Post – Post with vertical flutes on all 4 sides.
    • Corner Fluted Post – Vertical flutes on all 4 corners.